Thread: Poncho Engine swaps

Default Poncho Engine swaps

Has anyone nailed this down? Saw somewhere someone did a 400 in 3rd gen but they weren't very open with details. Appears that mounts and exhaust were the biggest issues, mounts can be over come nut has any really figured this out yet? Have friends that are welders and once we've finished moving and the shops set up I'd like to put a pont in a 3rd gen camaro or TA/Firebird. Or 4th gen either one. Butler performance did one in a 4th gen but I don't think it said much on how.

Back when Indian Adventures was around they had all the stuff needed to do a 3rd gen but when they went under around 06 that all went away. The 4th gen is a whole different deal, you can go on here and see what I did to put my 505 (now a 535) in a 94 Formula. The two chassis are different enough that virtually nothing will interchange between each other. It would be nice if someone would make the parts for the 3rd gen's again, if I had the foresight I would had kept one of each when I was running my business to have a template to make my own but sadly I didn't know the state IA was in after it got sold to the new owners.

35ci NA CV-1 1050 - 940hp@7000/825tq@5200
    You will make power with CV-1 heads if you stop thinking of them as a 'Pontiac' head and think of them as a head on a Pontiac block

PontiacGroup.com

Nelson Competition Inc

See, I figured it would be a bigger pain in a 4th gen. I thought about getting the 3rd gen, tubular k member, tubular control arms, and going from there... Mounts should be easy enough to make.. Its the exhaust im concerned with. I have friends that may be able to make something work.. Idk. How bad was it in the 4th gen?

We had to cut back the upper lip to the windshield, I think that was the worst part of the swap. We used a mid & motor plate for mounting the motor rather than trying to make a regular motor mount arrangement. That way we didn't mess up the BMR cm K member. Headers aren't all that hard to build for the 4th gen you just have to have someone that is capable.

35ci NA CV-1 1050 - 940hp@7000/825tq@5200
    You will make power with CV-1 heads if you stop thinking of them as a 'Pontiac' head and think of them as a head on a Pontiac block

PontiacGroup.com

Nelson Competition Inc

How much trimming? Good bit or just a little here and there? I thought about motor plate set up vs standard mounting, should also help lower it a little also huh? All in all completely honest, if you had to do it again would you? Or would you A) go different powerplant or B) choose different body or C) or do it again? That question is my own curiosity lol. Hmm, may sell the sn95 and pick up a cheap roller 4th gen in workable shape. I have an sn95 chassis I bought about 3 years ago wanting to experiment with big blocks, but being a GM guy at heart... I just can't get excited over it and start.. Its not tripping my trigger ya know? This though.. The 3rd/4th gen swap has been on my mind for quite some time.. I leave it.. And always come back to it. Classic case of young and indecisive lol.

Building ggyour own headers not that big an issue check out my profile page. Done with no previos fabrication experience just had professional welder do final welding. Biggest issues access to distributer and carb clearance with cowl.

Well, sold my sn95 car today. Guess I'll continue researching, save money find me a clean roller and start from there.