Thread: Engine Swap

Default Engine Swap

I have a 1979 Chevy Malbu and I am looking to put my 67 pontiac 400 in next month. Where can I get the adapter plates for the engine mounts from? Would headers or exhaust manifolds work from a 67 gto or tempest with this swap ? Also, I have not installed oil pan yet because I am not sure if there will be a clearance issue....I know many people do not perform this swap so info is very limited.

Welcome to the board The company that made the mounts I use (Indian Adventures) has since gone under. I do have one set that I am looking to reproduce them. Being that you have a 67 block (64-69 family) you will need them, the 70+ blocks can use the mounts for a 78-80 301 GP but in your case that won't work by them selves. Now if you get the listed GP mounts and a pair of "early to late" adapters you can go that route. Also the block mounts for a 75-81 Firebird (any Pontiac v8) can be used but note that the motor will sit 1-1.5" higher than the GP mounts. I do have a used set of early to late mounts if you can't find any. On the exhaust manifolds the 2nd gen Firebirds (70-79) with any Pontiac v8 except for 301's and round port heads will work for sure. As for headers we have the same deal, Indian Adventure made them and we are trying to get some made but for now there are none available. I was told that the Headman shorty headers will work but as yet to seen or heard creditable confirmation of that claim.
    "Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular"

94 Formula
    535cid on the motor
    x.xxx xx.xx(1.xxx)
    x.xxxx @xxx.xx(1.xxx)

PontiacGroup.com

Thankfully some Pontiac folks pulled up their anchors that were firmly planted in the past and started to explore new uncharted waters.

Default Engine Mounts

Thanks for all the info . Everyone asks why I am doing this swap, so this is the story behind this engine swap: I have a 1967 GTO that was my fathers that was bought new in 1967 and a 1965 Grand Prix that was my grandfathers also bought new in 1965. My father passed away in 2000 so I have both cars. The grand prix was garaged kept and gto was parked outside under a car cover. Note:these vehicles are in New Jersey and I live in Texas.

When my father passed away in 2000 I moved to texas. My father had removed the 400 from the GTO to rebuild it and restore the GTO. I didn't have room for the cars here in texas so I left them behind at my grandmothers house in jersey. I did bring the 400 with me to texas to rebuild. I own a 1979 malibu that was a street car with a small block that I drove while I was in Jersey. I shiped that car here to texas with the intent to build a race car.

With no time to build a race car just moving here in 2001 I bought one instead. The red car is one bought for me. My other 1979 malibu I gave to my stepfather for fathers day. I decided to install the pontiac 400 into his malibu because it was just sitting around and collecting dust. It is a 67 400 block with #48 ram air 3 heads from a 69 gto. Most pontiac guys hate that I am doing this swap so thats why I am explaining.

I am going to try and sit this motor in on tuesday but I am having alot of trouble locating the engine brackets for a 78-80 grand prix or 78 -81 lemans or grand am. I do not want the engine to sit up to high by using the firebird mount kit because we would like to keep the a/c box intact so he can have a/c. I would also like to use a set of shorty headers also. Would there be a big horsepower gain in using shorty four tube headers over stock exhaust manifolds ? This is the only pontiac I have ever built so I am alittle green on some things about this engine. If anyone has the adapter kits I would be interested in buying them or the engine brackets for grand prix or lemans.

Also I have a flow kooler water pump that seems to hit the divider plate slightly. I have the thick gaskets between both the divider and water pump. Do I have to modify the divider? It looks like the front water pump cover was taken off a 69 gto with the heads becasue it has the sleeves behind the divider plate and 11 bolt pump. Thanks for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good to see another transplant, will reply with more info later this evening when I have more time to post

94 Formula
    535cid on the motor
    x.xxx xx.xx(1.xxx)
    x.xxxx @xxx.xx(1.xxx)

PontiacGroup.com

Thankfully some Pontiac folks pulled up their anchors that were firmly planted in the past and started to explore new uncharted waters.

Default Mounts

Still looking for anyone with adapter plates for 67 400 block to a 79 malibu A body.

Default Adapters

I am not sure if this is right but this is where I am at. I am buying these adapters http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...TERS&SM=1&SC=4 . I also ordered 1979 grand prix engine mounts and frame mounts. Is this all I need ?

Default Sorry wrong link

Engine mount adapter kit for installing a 1959-1969 Pontiac V8 engines in a 1970-1981 Firebird chassis. This is the adapter kit I ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmooth View Post
    Engine mount adapter kit for installing a 1959-1969 Pontiac V8 engines in a 1970-1981 Firebird chassis. This is the adapter kit I ordered.

That will work perfect, the only issue might be hood clearance.

94 Formula
    535cid on the motor
    x.xxx xx.xx(1.xxx)
    x.xxxx @xxx.xx(1.xxx)

PontiacGroup.com